The DISC-Model – Ideal for all scientists and technicians in sales and project management
The DISC-model of behavioral preferences is ideally suited for all natural scientists and technicians in sales and project management. So, wherever it is not only about science and technology, but also, or even primarily about people and human behavior patterns:
The reason for this is as follows:
We are natural scientists, technicians and engineers and from our scientific or technical background we are used to working in clear structures, we are used to thinking in logical, straightforward and linear causalities. In our former world, we could rely on clear and concrete “if-then-relations”. This is what we have learned and loved. Today, we are a lot more working with people and working with people has not so much to do with clear structures or robust matrices, but instead quite often it is rather illogical.
This is what the DISC model can bring us back:
A scientifically founded system, a robust structure and a practicable matrix for categorizing behavioral preferences, which makes it possible for us to get out of the bare intuitive realm for the sometimes irrational approach of people, and to proceed in a similarly structured and structured way, as we have always been accustomed to.
As a scientist, engineer, or technician, we were dealing with „real“ science, with technology, straightforward logic, robust numbers, and results that were reproducible in the best case.
As a scientist, we have a very good sense of how biomolecules behave – as technicians, we can perfectly count torques or statics. Everything is precise, everything is calculable. Everything obeys the laws we have studied for many years, and in its practical application we have accumulated years of experience.
We are accustomed to work on the basis of a structured, scientifically based system, which we can always settle back on. Our safety and our competence is based to a large extent on this. Here we are kings and heroes.
The great moment
And then suddenly comes the great moment: We go into sales or project management, so we move away from our laboratory and meet other people.
People who are perhaps even differently structured than we ourselves. And all of a sudden we stand alone. Because in all our studies we did not listen to a single lecture and we did not complete a single seminar in which the topic of „dealing with other people“ would have been addressed.
We experience in everyday business that a different person reacts differently than we do, that he does not behave as expected and that his decisions are completely different than what we are accustomed to.
Then we ask: „How can he not understand this argument?“ Or „How can he think like this?“. As a result, friction points occur and problems arise. And in reality it is only ourselves who do not understand that it is only a different type, which simply decides differently and sets different priorities than ourselves.
When dealing with such situations
To deal with those situations, we intuitively try, we just try out, make our experiences or perhaps just realize that sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not – or that we can easily deal with some people, but not with others. And all this only because we do not have a suitable and established tool that allows us to be respectful, cooperative, and synergistic with people.
Just imagine, we would have done so in our first profession, that is, in science, which we have actually learned. Do not imagine! Working with no clear rules, no clear structure, no system, no formulars, no algorithms; where would that have led us?
The DISC – model solves this problem:
- DISC brings scientific standards and a corresponding sound theoretical foundation into dealing with our fellow human beings, be it customers, business partners, project partners or employees.
- DISC allows us to institutionalize our social competences and to put them on a solid foundation.
- DISC enables us to further develop our social competences on the basis of our intuition and predisposition.
- DISC is revolutionizing our self – assurance and efficiency in dealing with people in our everyday work.
- DISC makes our interpersonal interactions more respectful, cooperative and effective.
- DISC gives us scientists in the field of sales and project management for dealing with customers and employees and project partners something back that we are used to: a scientifically founded structure and a clear system, also for the supposedly irrational part of our work: The interpersonal.
- DISC puts an end to pure intuition and trial and error when dealing with other types, because there is a clear system which allows categorization and lets us proceed from it.
Do you have questions?
Just contact me!
The DISC-booklet is free for download as your personal starting point in everything what has to do with the DISC-model.
Copyright © by Dr. Martin Auer, 2017
View blogpost as video
More information to the DISC-model in sales